If you have any ideas on how to improve Ameriwiki, let us know at the Community Portal!
This is a draft and is subject to change.
Ameriwiki is an effort at a collaborative encyclopedia project written from a point of view of tolerance in most matters.
While Ameriwiki was founded by people who came from an unabashedly conservative wiki, we welcome and respect a wide variety of views on political, social and religious matters. We do not welcome pornography, advertising, or intolerant views.
Policies are being developed as the site is in its infant stage. Here is what has been drafted so far.
- Articles are to be factual, and to fit in with the site's POV. Religious topics have no official stance, though articles should be friendly to all belief systems. For most things, Ameriwiki has an inclusionist policy.
- Users shall behave civilly at all times. This means:
- No profanity
- No consistent bickering on talk pages. Discussion is fine and even encouraged, but name-calling, profanity, and such will not be tolerated.
- No edit wars. If there is a difference of opinion that cannot be worked out cordially on the article's talk page, then the issue needs to be presented to an uninvolved administrator.
- Blocking will only be done to accounts used purely for vandalism, inappropriate usernames, etc. These blocks will last no longer than one week. After a first block, they may progress to longer lengths. Uncivil users may be blocked up to a day for a first-time block, and up from there if incivility continues. Blocking may also occur if family-unfriendly images or text is added.
- Copyright infringement is not acceptable at Ameriwiki. A user will be given one warning to remove the offending material, and if after a short period of time, the material is still in the article, the user will be blocked and the material deleted.
- User rights will be based on work done here, and other wikis, if applicable. See: Ameriwiki:User rights structure
- Biographies on Living People (BLP) are to be treated with special care. A category has been created for these entries.
- Articles should be original (at least initially), unless the user copies his or her own content from another website. Attribute the original source on the talk page.
- Articles that conflict with the site's POV should be reviewed by an administrator or the site owner for adjustment (or if needed, deletion).
- Usernames should be appropriate. An inoffensive pseudonym is acceptable. Real names or a form of a real name is also acceptable, though not at all necessary. Users with offensive names will be soft blocked and encouraged to create a new account with an appropriate name.
- Please don't edit other users' talk page comments, even if they contain mistakes. Doing so can misrepresent your words as their own. However, it is acceptable to remove another user's comments if they are offensive or uncivil (if this is disputed, please consult an administrator). It is also acceptable to fix obvious Wiki syntax errors where the author's intention is clear (especially if those are damaging the formatting of the rest of the page)