If you have any ideas on how to improve Ameriwiki, let us know at the Community Portal!
Second World War
The Second World War, often written as World War II or WW2, was a global military conflict that was fought predominantly in Europe, Asia, North Africa and the Pacific between 1 September 1939 and 1 September 1945. The war was fought between the Axis, led by Nazi Germany, and the Allies, led by Great Britain. The war ended with the total victory of the Allies, and caused a number of deaths between 50 million to over 70 million people.
Theatres of Conflict
The major theatres of conflict during the war included:
- Eastern Europe Major battles included the German invasions of Poland, the Balkans and the Soviet Union. The Eastern Front was the decisive theatre of the war and produced the most casualties.
- Western Europe German invasions of the Low Countries and France, followed by Allied invasions of Italy, France and Germany.
- North Africa
- Atlantic Ocean Extensive conflict between German surface raiders and U-Boats and Allied surface ships and aircraft.
- Pacific Ocean Multiple large battles between Allied ships, submarines and aircraft against the Japanese Navy. Many land battles on islands and surrounding countries.
- China Large land battles between Japan and China, and later between Japan and the Soviet Union.